Chengdu 144 Hours visa-free Transit Policy
Historic yet modern Chengdu, as the hometown of Giant Pandas and the City of Gastronomy, becomes increasingly popular among international travelers in recent years. By far, there has been over 100 direct international flights to Chengdu, making it the largest airport in the whole western part of China. The good news is that from Jan 1st, 2019, Chengdu Airport had implemented transit visa exemption policy for international travelers from 53 countries as long as they have valid international travel documents (passport) and an interline ticket with confirmed date and seat to a third country (region) within 144 hours. What follows we will check into details to see how can people from those countries get this visa-free permit.
People from what countries are able to get this 144 hours visa-free transit?
- 24 Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
- 15 Other European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania, Belarus, Monaco
- 6 American Countries: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile
- 2 Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand
- 6 Asian Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar
What documents are needed for the application?
- Valid personal international travel documents (Keep your passport valid for at least 3 months);
- An interline ticket with confirmed date and seat to a third country (region) within 144 hours ;
- Visa for a third country or region (if applicable)
Port of entry and exit in Chengdu.
Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
Duration of stay
Within 144 hours from 0:00 of the next day after entry
Areas allowed to stay during this 144 hours visa-free transit
Administrative precincts of Chengdu Municipality incluidng Dujiangyan, Dayi and etc.
What are the procedures to apply for the 6 days visa-free transit?
- Inform your airlines when check in
- Fill an Arrival/Departure Card on the flight
- Apply for the 144-hours visa-free permit at the Customs
- Claim the luggage
- Leave airport
Applying for the 144 hours visa-free permit
- Please inform the airline at check-in so that they can declare your request to the Chengdu airport customs before landing;
- There is a special counter for the 144-hour free transit at the immigration
- For tourists plan to stay over 24 hours at friend’s home, please remember to register in local police station in person; no need to do that if you stay at hotel.
- If tourists can’t depart within 144 hours due to whatever reason, they need to apply for a Chinese visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB) to extend their stay in China.
- As the land of abundance in China, Sichuan also has many ethnic minorities that boasts various and colorful festivals that worthy your time during your travel in Sichuan. We will give you a time schedule of different festivals in Sichuan so that you can plan your Sichuan tour better if you wish to see Sichuan better.
- A full list of bus schedule of buses to different main tourists destination from Chengdu, including info like departure time, price, duration and etc. You can find bus info like Jiuzhaigou, Leshan, Ya’an, Kangding, Siguniangshan and etc.
- A brief introduction about Sichuan food and its culture, including Sichuan hotpot、sichuan cuisine、barbecue and etc.
- A brief introduction to leisure and amusement in Sichuan, help you to find good time and relaxation while travelling in Sichuan.
- A brief introduction to people and ethnic minority groups in Sichuan, help you to understand Sichuan people’s culture and tradition.